15 May The 5 Best Vitamins For Healthy Gums And Teeth
The 5 Best Vitamins For Healthy Gums And Teeth
Having the right diet plays a vital part in maintaining our dental health. Making healthy food choices is a simple thing we can all do every day to reduce the chances of avoidable tooth and gum problems.
At Boroondara Family Dentist, we love to see our valued clients, but not more often than we should have! Knowing which vitamin-rich foods to choose will help keep your gums and teeth happy and strong between visits. Read on for advice from our caring team of dentists about which tooth-friendly superfoods are best for you and your family.
For personalised advice, contact our team at Boroondara Family Dentist today.
Keeping Your Teeth Healthy
Did you know that almost two-thirds of us want to change something about our teeth? Whether it be a simple tooth whitening treatment or transformative tooth straightening, recent statistics from Orthodontics Australia tell us that a huge 62% of Australians are thinking about investing in a beautiful, healthy smile. If you are one of them, or you’re a parent considering orthodontic treatment for your child, it’s important to know that there is a lot you can do yourself to protect your investment and care for your gums and teeth naturally.
Keeping your smile healthy is all about reducing the bacterial build-up in the mouth and maximising the body’s natural immunity– and the major factor in achieving this is diet.
Put simply, optimising the health of our mouths comes down to what we’re putting into them! So here are the top 5 vitamins for keeping our teeth and gums in top condition, and which delicious foods to get them from – and if you’re looking for a reason to enjoy a big bowl of strawberries and cream for dessert tonight, then you’re in the right place.
1. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and essential for producing collagen, which is an important part of the gums. This is why Vitamin C deficiency can lead to bleeding, pain and swelling in the gums. People with low blood levels of vitamin C are much more likely to develop gum disease than those with optimal levels.
- Citrus fruits (oranges, kiwi, lemon, grapefruit)
- Strawberries, Cranberries
- Cruciferous vegetables (Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower)
- White potatoes
2. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is necessary for good oral health and bolsters the body’s antibacterial defences, maintaining healthy gum tissue and reducing inflammation.
- Milk (dairy, soy, or almond)
- Canned fish (tuna, mackerel, sardines)
- Orange juice
3. Vitamin A
Vitamin A contributes to immune function and promotes healthy saliva by keeping mucous membranes strong, which in turn prevents Xerostomia (‘dry mouth’) and helps the mouth to heal quickly.
- Leafy green vegetables (spinach, kale, chard)
- Oranges or other orange-coloured foods (apricots, rockmelon, pumpkin, carrots, sweet potatoes)
This mineral most often comes to mind when we think about healthy teeth. Calcium strengthens tooth enamel – the protective outer layer that fortifies teeth against cavities.
- Dairy (cheese, milk, yoghurt, cream)
- Canned fish with bones (salmon, sardines)
- Leafy green vegetables
- Almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, brazil nuts
Another essential mineral, phosphorus, is the structural foundation of our teeth and is needed for the growth, repair, and maintenance of all our tissues and cells.
- Hard cheese, cottage cheese
- Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
An Extra Work On The Magic Of Mushrooms
While not exactly a vitamin themselves, brilliant, multi-tasking mushrooms deserve mention for being a great source of vitamin D, which helps the body absorb essential calcium and phosphorus. They also contain natural antibiotics that inhibit fungal infections and microbial growth. Shiitake mushrooms, in particular, contain chemicals that prevent cavities and gum disease by targeting and killing cavity-causing bacteria while leaving ‘good’ bacteria unaffected.
Teeth To Last You A Lifetime
Our teeth are the only parts of our bodies that can’t repair themselves, so it’s up to us to give them some extra love. Here at Boroondara Family Dental, we are passionate about teaming up with you to provide expert care, as well as empowering you with the best practical day-to-day advice to ensure that your teeth will go the distance. We are here to help with general check-ups, preventative dentistry, children’s dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, teeth straightening and much more. We have over 40 years of experience to share, and we pride ourselves on always involving our clients in discussions about treatments and costs.
Our team would love to hear from you on 03 9857 7886 or click on the link below to reach out to us with any inquiries or make an online booking.
And Lastly… Something To Get Your Teeth Into
Fresh food is always the best place to get your vitamins, so our team have created this delicious, dentist-approved Tooth Booster Salad for you to try– it’s packed full of the good things your teeth and gums need. We hope you enjoy it!
Tooth Booster Salad
- 2 cups of fresh kale or rainbow chard
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms
- 2 cups baby spinach or rocket (or a mixture of both)
- 1 cup mixed almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted.
- ½ cup orange segments
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup goat cheese or tofu, crumbled
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté the kale/chard and broccoli in the butter and nutmeg until just softened and tip them into a large salad bowl.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté till soft, then add to the warm greens.
- Add all the remaining fresh ingredients to the greens and mushrooms and toss together.
- Roast the chopped nuts and seeds in a hot oven on baking paper until fragrant and add to the salad.
- Crumble the goat cheese/ tofu over the salad and sprinkle the dried cranberries on top.
For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar and shake. Enjoy!